We believe traditional helpdesk software prevents great customer experiences by depersonalizing customers and disempowering teams. That’s why we built Kayako, the unified customer service platform, to help teams work better together to deliver better, personalized and memorable experiences to their customers at scale.
We are recruiting for a Director of Support to head up our customer support team and operations. This is not your usual support lead role.
At Kayako, this is a superstar role in all but having a dressing room*. We lead by example when it comes to how we support our customers. We want to shape the future of customer support, and help our customers get there too. This means constant innovation and experimentation with people, process and product. The right person for this job will be a rapid and passionate learner who wants to do amazing things.
If you love the prospect of changing the world’s perception of customer support as a short term job opportunity, are excited by the opportunity to develop true thought leadership in the space and the opportunity to build a great software business by placing our customer at the heart of it, you’ve found perfect company.
(* OK, dressing room negotiable.)
Responsibilities, goals and things you'd be working on
- Lead and grow the Kayako customer support team (based all around the world, with two principal locations being our offices: London and New Delhi.)
- Plan and deliver projects to level up the Kayako customer experience and drive CSAT and NPS.
- Collaborate with customer success to develop a holistic customer strategy and resources covering contact, operations, tooling, self-service and onboarding to drive customer loyalty, reduce customer effort and customer churn.
- Day-to-day management of the customer support team including training and development, mentoring, ongoing scheduling of support coverage and the reporting and monitoring of metrics.
- Collaborate with product and marketing to improve the Kayako product offering and value proposition, and help turn the support function into an insights engine.
- Develop and own collaborative processes across channels, departments and the Kayako community to improve the support journey for our users.
- Build thought leadership by translating our learnings and methodologies into content, blogging, community participation and speaking at events.
Skills, qualifications and experience required
- Minimum of 2 years experience leading and building customer support and service teams specifically for software products, and 4 years experience leading teams generally.
- Successful in and being responsible for recruiting, interviewing, compensating and developing talent.
- A voracious learner and reader (there is no degree in building the Kayako business - we need to relearn everything we thought we knew, every year.) Kayako is a growth-stage startup. With around nearly 100 people around the world, this is the perfect opportunity to join a still nascent team and shape your own role as we grow.
- A consistent track record as a hands-on, cross-functional member of the team who leads from the front, and is always willing to dive in and always able to step back.
- Very comfortable with wrangling with data and customer metrics.
- A solid understanding of the challenges of building a customer support and service functions across different industries and verticals.
- Excellent written and oral communication along with technical fluency, CRM and customer communication tool experience, such as Kayako, Salesforce, Hubspot, HootSuite.
- Very comfortable working in and coordinating collaboration with other functions and in a team environment.
You'd love this role if
- You love working with people and seeing them grow to their full potential with coaching and development.
- You’d relish the challenge of developing new metrics to measure the customer experience and helping our product team create new tools to improve it.
- You love working out of silos and are keen to deploy your expertise and expand your knowledge across all areas of the customer journey and product.
- You don't see owning your own territory as a reflection of your individual success, but rather the success of your team and the wins we achieve together.
You have ambition to become a thought leader and make a name for yourself as a high performing leader in a fast pace SaaS startup.
- You’re already a member of the customer support community (blogging, Elevate Summit, UserConf, Support Driven, etc.)
Other reasons why you’ll love working at Kayako
- Stock options - we want everyone to be invested in the success of their work.
- Unlimited PTO - take time off as you need it.
- Pension - we’ll contribute to your pension so you can plan for the future.
- Private health insurance package - including a 50% discount gym membership, because we want to be and stay healthy.
- Choose your own gear - we want you to have all the tools you need to do the work best.
- Flexible working hours - we love spending time in the office together and think we’re at our best in-person, but we’re realistic and flexible about it.
- Family friendly - we operate a childcare vouchers scheme for all our employees.
- Monthly on-site massage - yes, we have someone come in once a month. No, it’s not weird.
- Fully stocked fridge and pantry - keeping you going. Standard.
- Weekly craft beers and wines - every Friday. No reason or explanation needed. And we won’t judge you if you wanted to start on Thursday, either.
- Weekly fruit delivery - to compensate for the weekly beers.
- Weekly team lunches - because we like food, and we love bonding over it.
- Regular learning opportunities - from Lunch n’ Learns to opportunities to attend the best industry events, we want you to grow in every way possible.
Our preference would be for this key leadership role to be based locally in our office in London. We're happy to sponsor a visa where possible. However, for the right candidate, we will also consider a remote position - significant experience building and managing a global support team remotely would be a requirement.
Equal opportunities (it is boilerplate, but we believe it)
Kayako is committed to creating a diverse environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability or age.
We've brought customer service a long way. We started out with an ambitious goal: a better online customer support experience. Today, tens of thousands of businesses deliver better, personal customer service to millions of customers using Kayako. We are on a mission to completely revolutionize the way businesses support and build relationships with their customers. Why do we care? Because life's too short for bad customer service. Does that pique your interest? Drop us a line.